Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
That Damned Gastly? --TK-Squared 09:37, March 3, 2010 (UTC)
- ...What? -- Quantumboost 02:51, March 4, 2010 (UTC)
- I'm probably wrong, but I think he might be referring to the possibility that gastly (shouldn't it be ghastly?) might be too strong for his CR, in the same way that the monstrous crab is on that page. --Ghostwheel 03:01, March 4, 2010 (UTC)
- While not as strong as That Damned Grab, Gastly's grapple modifier means it's probably never going to lose in a grapple vs CR 4 and then just choke everything to death using it's Miasma ability. This is similar to That Damned Grab, the Giant Crab, which rushes in, grapples an opponent, crushes them and repeats (or drags them into the water to drown them). --TK-Squared 11:55, March 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Gastly isn't ultimately like the Giant Crab at all, since the Giant Crab's approach is "run in and CRUSH" while not dying in the meantime due to being super-tough. Gastly gets by through fear-juggling opponents and limiting its primary target to light-weapon attacks. One wins by devastation, the other wins by attrition.
- Gastly can be assumed to out-grapple pretty much any humanoid with class levels, true. It deals about 1 damage per round maximum, which basically means the character has either their positive hit points or twice their Constitution score in rounds to kill it. It's an auto-win against parties without "I win" effects, non-physical damage, or big physical damage (I hope you're not all dual-wielding non-flask rogues or rangers); parties with these things and a good chance of avoiding the fear effect will usually win. If the party gets the jump on Gastly, and has ranged energy damage (like acid flasks and scorching rays) they'll win as well.
- I could see this being moved up one CR, maybe two if some actual analysis indicates it's appropriate.
- And the name is definitely Gastly. Because it's made of gas, and it's ghastly. If you have complaints about the pun, feel free to contact Nintendo of America about it. :P -- Quantumboost 17:19, March 4, 2010 (UTC)