Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Playtesting Note Edit
Ghostwheel had the following idea in chat:
<Ghostwheel> Could be *noddish* Perhaps make it a CL check, both sides getting a bonus equal to 2x the spell level spent? <Ghostwheel> That way duskblades can be decent too, even with lower-level spells
I think right now that's making it too hard for the attacker as they already have to draw line of effect through them in the first place and hit the spell with the attack of opportunity, but it might be an appropriate idea. That's something whose answer will come out in playtesting. Surgo 16:19, July 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Decent? That's +20+10 vs. +20+18 we're talking about as a baseline case. If it was plus one time the spell level, it could work.
- Either way works, but without that doubling you'll notice that the only difference between a sixth-level spell being countered by a first-level spell is only +5 against being countered. I personally don't think you should be able to counter a sixth-level spell with a first-level spell, period, especially with how wide the RNG is on opposed checks (1-20 rather than 1-10 when using set DCs). --Ghostwheel 20:27, July 4, 2010 (UTC)
- That basically means duskblades (level 5) shouldn't pretend to be able to counter anyone else (level 9) - it's a difference only 1 level smaller than the one that "ought to be entirely insurmountable".
Dispel Action Edit
Does dispel use an AoO and an immediate action, or just the immediate? - TarkisFlux 22:37, July 16, 2010 (UTC)
- Just immediate. Surgo 01:24, July 17, 2010 (UTC)
New Feat Edit
I like these rules, so I made a new feat for them. It's not scaling, but I think it's a pretty solid one anyway. Feel free to make suggestions, including "that sucks, and you should get rid of it". It's your subsystem after all. - TarkisFlux 00:30, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
I have some issues with this method of counterspelling:
- The bigger you are, the better you are at placing yourself to counter spells.
- Wielding a reach weapon makes you better at counterspelling.
- Attack rolls usually quickly outpace DCs.
- Level 20 clerics should easily be able to have full BAB + 10 str + 5 magic weapon, which shuts down casters with +2 DCs from feats and a +14 ability modifier.