|This material is published under the OGL|
|Dwarf, 1st-Level Warrior|
|Size/Type:||Medium Humanoid (Dwarf)|
|Hit Dice:||1d8+2 (6 hp)|
|Speed:||20 ft. in scale mail (4 squares); base speed 20 ft.|
|Armor Class:||16 (+4 scale mail, +2 heavy shield), touch 10, flat-footed 16|
|Attack:||Dwarven waraxe +3 melee (1d10+1/x3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/x3)|
|Full Attack:||Dwarven waraxe +3 melee (1d10+1/x3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/x3)|
|Space/Reach:||5 ft./5 ft.|
|Special Attacks:||Dwarf traits|
|Special Qualities:||Darkvision 60 ft., dwarf traits|
|Saves:||Fort +4*, Ref +0*, Will –1*|
|Abilities:||Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6|
|Skills:||Appraise +2, Craft (blacksmithing) +2, Craft (stonemasonry) +2, Listen +2, Spot +2|
|Feats:||Weapon Focus (dwarven waraxe)|
|Environment:|| Temperate mountains |
|Organization:||Team (2–4), squad (11–20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd–6th level), or clan (30–100 plus 30% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)|
|Treasure:||Standard coins; double goods; standard items|
|Alignment:|| Often lawful good |
(Deep: Usually lawful neutral or neutral)
|Advancement:||By character class|
Dwarves favor earth tones in their clothing and prefer simple and functional garb. The skin can be very dark, but it is always some shade of tan or brown. Hair color can be black, gray, or brown. Dwarves average 4 feet tall and weigh as much as adult humans.
Dwarves speak Dwarven. Most who travel outside dwarven lands (as traders, mercenaries, or adventurers) know the Common tongue, while warriors in the dwarven cities usually learn Goblin to better interrogate and spy on those evil denizens of the deep caves.
Most dwarves encountered outside their home are warriors.
Dwarves are experts in combat, effectively using their environment and executing well-planned group attacks. They rarely use magic in fights, since they have few wizards or sorcerers (but dwarven clerics throw themselves into battle as heartily as their fellow warriors). If they have time to prepare, they may build deadfalls or other traps involving stone. In addition to the dwarven waraxe and thrown hammer, dwarves also use warhammers, picks, shortbows, heavy crossbows, and maces.
SEE WIKIPEDIA ENTRY: Dwarf
Dwarves as CharactersEdit
Dwarf Traits (Ex): Dwarves possess the following racial traits.
- +2 Constitution, –2 Charisma.
- Humanoid (Dwarf).
- Medium: As Medium creatures, hill dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Hill dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, hill dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
- Darkvision: Hill dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and hill dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
- Stonecunning: This ability grants a hill dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A hill dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a hill dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A hill dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
- Weapon Familiarity: Hill dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- Stability: A hill dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.*Not reflected in the saving throw numbers given here.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.*Not reflected in the saving throw numbers given here.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass hill dwarf’s Fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
- Level Adjustment: +0.
The information above is for hill dwarves, the most common variety.
There are three other major dwarven subraces, which differ from hill dwarves as follows.
These dwarves live far underground and tend to be more standoffish with non-dwarves.
Deep dwarves are the same height as other dwarves, but leaner. Their skin sometimes has a reddish tinge, and their large eyes lack the brightness of those of their kindred, being a washed-out blue. Their hair color ranges from bright red to straw blond. They have little contact with surface dwellers, relying on hill dwarves or mountain dwarves to trade goods for them.
Deep dwarves speak Dwarven and Goblin, and occasionally Draconic or Undercommon.
Deep Dwarf Traits (Ex): These traits are in addition to the hill dwarf traits, except where noted.
- Racial bonus on saves against spells and spell-like abilities increases to +3.
- Racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poisons increases to +3.
- Darkvision out to 90 feet.
- Light Sensitivity: Deep dwarves are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Mountain dwarves live deeper under the mountains than hill dwarves but generally not as far underground as deep dwarves. They average about 4-1/2 feet tall and have lighter skin and hair than hill dwarves, but the same general appearance.