In the World of Greyhawk campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, the Sword of Kas was the mighty blade used by Kas the Bloody-Handed, the dreaded lieutenant of Vecna. It was by this blade, some say, that Vecna lost his Hand and Eye.
The sword, variously described as a short sword, longsword, or greatsword, was crafted by Vecna. The blade is said to have been magically honed to a razor's edge, enhanced the wielder's strength, and could be used to call down lightning bolts from any storm clouds that might be overhead. The sword itself is intelligent, possessing a vile and murderous spirit.
Publication History Edit
The Sword of Kas first appeared in the Original D&D supplement, Eldritich Wizardry. It was one of the first artifacts detailed for the Dungeons & Dragons game. The sword has been updated many times and has even been the object of quests as in the adventure Vecna Lives.
- Cook, David. Book of Artifacts. TSR, 1993.
- Cook, David. Vecna Lives!. TSR, 1990.
- Cook, Monte, Skip Williams, and Jonathan Tweet. Dungeon Master's Guide. Wizards of the Coast, 1999.
- Gygax, Gary. Dungeon Master's Guide. TSR, 1979.
- Gygax, Gary, and Brian Blume. Eldritch Wizardry. TSR, 1976.
- Henson, Dale, and Doug Stewart, eds. Encyclopedia Magica Vol 4. TSR, 1995.
- Thorsson, Modi, and Kevin McCann. Vecna: Hand of the Revenant. Iron Hammer Graphics, 2002.
- ↑ Gygax, Gary; Blume, Brian (1976), Eldritch Wizardry (1 ed.), TSR
- ↑ Mortdred (2001-02-05). "Review of Eldritch Wizardry". RPGnet. http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_4232.html. Retrieved 2007-11-19.
- ↑ Cook, David (1993), Book of Artifacts (2 ed.), TSR
- ↑ Christopher Page (1999-11-15). "Review of Vecna Lives". RPGnet. http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_2525.html. Retrieved 2007-11-19.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|